The Erie Canal, opened in 1825, changed the course of commerce and way of life in the United States. The Erie Canal Discovery Center is a new state-of-the-art interpretive center that details the history of the canal and the pivotal role Lockport, N.Y. played in the history of the Erie Canal.
The interpretive center features the 13′ x 20′ Raphael Beck mural, “The Opening of the Erie Canal, October 26, 1825.” This beautiful floor to ceiling mural depicts the celebration surrounding then N.Y. Governor Dewitt Clinton’s ceremonial first passage through the now famous “Flight of Five” locks in Lockport to officially open the Erie Canal.
Individuals from the painting “come to life” with the assistance of virtual-reality, through computer kiosks in the Center. A multidimensional orientation film transports the visitor back in time on board a recreation of the packet boat Western Comet.
Additional audiovisual stations such as the “Hard Rock Canal” and “Work the Lock” allow guests the hands-on opportunity to view the dolomite rock wall in Lockport and to navigate a model ship through an actual working series of locks.
Exhibits, featuring the latest technology, illustrate the life and times of “canalers and canal kids,” people who lived and worked on the canal.
The Erie Canal Discovery Center is a partner of the Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor. To learn more, visit http://www.nps.gov/erie/index.htm
Official Site of the Niagara Falls National Heritage Area Junior Ranger Program.
24 Church St.
On October 13, 1812, the United States invaded Canada. Lewiston was the staging area for the Battle of Queenston Heights, the first major battle of the War of 1812. Cannons installed on the lawn of Barton Hill were aimed at the village of Queenston, across the Niagara River in Canada. Troops were quartered on Major Barton's property as well.
NYS Parks / Trails